LMDE is a Linux Mint project that stands for "Linux Mint Debian Edition." Its goal is to ensure that Linux Mint can continue to provide the same user experience in case Ubuntu ever disappears. LMDE is also one of the development goals to ensure compatibility of software under development outside of Ubuntu.
LMDE strives to be as similar to Linux Mint as possible, but without using Ubuntu. The package database is based on Debian.
The release notes contain important information about known issues, as well as explanations and solutions.
To read the release notes, please visit:
- 1 GB of RAM (2 GB recommended for comfortable use).
- 15 GB of disk space (20 GB recommended).
- Resolution 1024×768 (at lower resolutions, press ALT to drag the windows with the mouse if they do not fit on the screen).
- 64-bit ISO can boot from BIOS or UEFI.
- 32-bit ISO can only be booted with BIOS.
- A 64-bit ISO is recommended for all modern computers (almost all computers sold since 2007 are equipped with 64-bit processors).
- This BETA release may contain critical errors, please use it only for testing purposes and to help the Linux Mint team fix the problems before a stable release.
- You can upgrade this beta to a stable version.
- Errors in this release should be reported to Github at https://github.com/linuxmint/lmde-4-cinnamon-beta/issues.
- Create one problem description for one error.
- As described in the Linux Mint Troubleshooting Guide, do not report or create problems for observation.
- Be as accurate as possible and include any information that may help developers reproduce the problem or understand the cause of the problem:
- Mistakes that developers can reproduce or that they understand are usually fixed very easily.
- It is important to mention whether the error is «always» or «sometimes,» and what causes it.
- If an error occurred, but it did not exist before, or it did not appear in another distribution, or did not appear in another environment, please report it and try to identify differences in play.
- If developers cannot reproduce a specific error and do not understand its cause, they are unlikely to be able to fix it.
- Please visit https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap to monitor the progress of the development team between the beta version and the stable version.
- Torrent USA: https://torrents.linuxmint.com/torrents/lmde-4-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso.torrent
- USA: kernel.org
- USA: Linux Freedom
- USA: Purdue Linux Users Group
- USA: GigeNET
A complete list of mirrors can be found here.